As an experienced Engineering professional with a strong aptitude for Data Science and Computer Programming, I’m actively seeking opportunities for career advancement within Ontario.
I love working with data as it often tells an interesting story when you know how to read it. Combining data analytics with my passion for computer programming has been a rewarding experience during my previous roles. I’m a fast learner and thoroughly enjoy breaking complex problems into their simple, logical parts.
Using these skills and strengths, I’ve successfully implemented process improvement projects in demanding industrial and research environments. These projects have not only yielded substantial savings for the company, but also valuable experience in working with clients, effective communication and maintaining flexibility whilst managing multiple projects simultaneously.
I obtained my permanent residency in Canada and I’m currently living in Ottawa.
- I obtained my Master’s degree in Engineering and six years of experience working as a research engineer in an international Research & Development environment.
- Strong programming skills with experience in a large number of languages including Python, C++, Visual Basic, mySQL, JQuery, HTML and PHP.
- Data analysis and modelling with a good understanding of statistical analysis, regression, reinforcement learning and machine learning techniques.
- Project coordination by means of creating task lists, scheduling activities, balancing workloads and creating Gantt charts.
- Strong mathematical and critical thinking skills for problem comprehension and solution development.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to express complex ideas clearly.
Sappi – February 2012 to December 2017
I began working at Sappi’s Technology Centre in Pretoria, South Africa as an Engineer in Training in 2012. At the end of 2013, I was promoted to a Research Engineer position. My passion in data science, computer programming and electronics have been invaluable during this position.
My roles during this time included the following:
- Modelling data obtained from complex industrial processes though machine learning techniques implemented using Python and MATLAB.
- Develop in-house software and tools in accordance with a software development life cycle (SDLC) using GIT for version control.
- Design, program and manage a database to maintain a record of data generated from the evaluation of products sourced from suppliers.
- Analyse data obtained from industrial processes and experimental tests to obtain unique insights for the purpose of achieving project objectives.
- Propose, coordinate and lead projects for cost reduction and process improvement.
- Prepare and review professional documents including proposals, technical notes, reports and peer reviewed articles.
- Assist in the design and regular update of the company’s website.
- Maintain positive relations with external clients and present project findings and recommendations.
- Design, control and optimise pilot and large scale process equipment.
- Maintain high flexibility whilst working in demanding environments and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Conduct and apply project financial calculations.
- Following the successful implementation of cost reduction projects yielding savings in excess of $10 million in 2016, an award in the company’s annual excellence competition.
I graduated with my Master’s in Chemical Engineering degree (MEng) from the University of Pretoria at the beginning of 2012. As an internationally recognized qualification, it has provided me with the foundation needed to excel in both my professional roles as well as my fields of interest including programming, market trading and electronics.
Conway’s game of life programmed in Python:
Visit the code repository
More to be added soon…